This is the third post on the subject of receiving healing as it is outlined in James 5:14 – 15. In the first post I discussed the various characters involved in the healing process. In the second post I looked at the various responsibilities of those characters. In this post I will discuss the place of faith as it concerns each of the characters involved.
Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. James 5:14 – 15
Let’s Remind Ourselves…
Since I have written a complete post on faith and healing, I don`t wish to rehearse it all here. I do, however, want to remind us of a couple of things about faith.
1) There is nothing really mystical about faith. Faith is simply being convinced that God is who He says He is, and will do what He says He will do.
2) If we have this conviction, it will always manifest itself by moving us in God’s direction. That is what we will see as we look at faith as it works in the various characters involved in the healing process.
Faith and the Sick
Very simply, the sick demonstrate faith by calling for the Elders of the church to come and pray. By making the call (in whatever form that takes) they show they believe that the Lord heals in response to prayer. While this may require a minimal amount of faith, it is enough faith to put them into position to receive healing from Jesus.
Faith and the Elders
The Elders are to come and pray over the sick in faith. This should not be difficult as they should be individuals who have developed this kind of relationship with the Lord over a period of time. Since James tells us that the prayer of faith will save the sick, perhaps we should take a closer look at it.
The Prayer of Faith
There are three important things we need to know about the prayer of faith:
1) The prayer of faith is prayed in response to the known character of God. Looking at the ministry of Jesus in the Gospels, we can clearly see that the Lord is disposed to heal. This revelation makes it easy to pray for healing with conviction.
2) The one praying in faith fully expects the Lord to act according to His revealed character. Believing that “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever” (Hebrews 13:8), they have no difficulty petitioning the Lord on behalf of the one who is sick.
3) Because of the first two convictions, the one offering the prayer of faith “believes they have received” the answer to their prayer (Mark 11:24).
Faith and the Lord
As we review the healing ministry of the Lord Jesus it is easy to see that He responded positively to those who had faith. Let`s look at at couple of examples.
And as Jesus passed on from there, two blind men followed him, crying aloud, “Have mercy on us, Son of David.” When he entered the house, the blind men came to him, and Jesus said to them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?” They said to him, “Yes, Lord.” Then he touched their eyes, saying, “According to your faith be it done to you.” And their eyes were opened. And Jesus sternly warned them, “See that no one knows about it.” Matthew 9:27 – 30
As he drew near to Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. And hearing a crowd going by, he inquired what this meant. They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” And he cried out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” And those who were in front rebuked him, telling him to be silent. But he cried out all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” And Jesus stopped and commanded him to be brought to him. And when he came near, he asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” He said, “Lord, let me recover my sight.” And Jesus said to him, “Recover your sight; your faith has made you well.” And immediately he recovered his sight and followed him, glorifying God. And all the people, when they saw it, gave praise to God. Luke 18:35 – 43
In both cases the blind came to the Lord Jesus in faith and were healed of their affliction. The Lord still releases His healing power in response to faith.
Come in Faith
So let`s come to the Lord in faith. By faith let the sick call for the Elders of the church. By faith let the Elders come and pray the prayer of faith over the sick. Let`s let our faith move us toward the Lord and position us to receive His healing mercies. It`s one of the great privileges of living in the Reign.
If you are interested in learning more about this subject, you might consider purchasing my book titled Divine Healing Simplified. You can purchase it from the following outlets:
“Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright ©2001 by Crossway Bibles, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”