The process of life is a continuous cycle of dying and rising again. We are constantly brought to the place of letting go of one thing in order to embrace the next. It is exactly the same with our spiritual life. Let’s look at some characters in God’s Book and see this process as it plays out in their lives.
- Adam and Eve were to die to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good & Evil in order to come alive to God through the Tree of Life. Unfortunately that didn’t work out.
- Noah died to his average everyday life and rose up to the adventure of building a boat with God.
- Abraham died to Ur of the Chaldeans and rose to the adventure of wandering with God.
- Moses died to being the “do-it-yourself” deliverer in order to be the deliverer raised up by God.
- David died to fighting lions and bears and rose to battling the enemies of the Lord.
- The prophets died to whatever their lives were before in order to rise up as the spokesmen of the Lord.
- Jesus went through this process repeatedly.
- He died to taking shortcuts and rose to a life of submissive obedience.
- He died to taking cues from His mother and rose to live under the direction of His heavenly Father.
- He died to His own will in order to live completely for the fulfillment of His Father’s will.
- Peter died to his own self-sufficiency and rose up to a life of dependence on God’s Holy Spirit.
- Paul died to his misplaced zeal and was raised up as a zealous warrior of the King.
14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 15 and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised. 2 Corinthians 5:14 – 15 ESV